View of the rock, Trichinopoly from Srirangam, a tree and choultry in the foreground
Artist: Trapaud, Elisha (1750-1828)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil and wash drawing by Elisha Trapaud dated c.1806, depicting the rock at Tiruchchirapally from Srirangam, a tree and choultry in the foreground. Inscribed on front in pencil: 'Trichinopoly from Seringham'.
Tiruchirapalli was an important Hindu centre, occupied successively by the Pandyas, Chola and Vijayanagara governors as well as by the Nawab of Arcot. The town is situated on the Cauvery River and is dominated by a granite rock which rises steeply to a height of more than 83 metres. On the summit of the rock there is a recent Ganesha temple and two rock-cut caves. The Upper Cave temple was excavated in the early 7th century. It has a columned mandapa or hall and a small shrine. The Lower Cave Temple belongs to the 8th century, Pandya era and consists of a columned mandapa with two side shrines. North of the town, on Srirangam island in the holy Cauvery river, there are the two large temple complexes of Ranganatha and Jambukeshvara.