Chunar Fort on the Ganges (U.P.). 3 August 1822
Artist: Blagrave, Jane (fl. 1809-1840)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink drawing of Chunar Fort on the Ganges by Jane Blagrave (fl. 1809-1840), 3 August 1822. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'North point of Chunar. Augt 3rd 1822.'
The fort at Chunar in Uttar Pradesh occupies a commanding position high above a meander in the Ganges River. There is evidence of settlement here from 56 BC when it was occupied by Vikramaditya of Ujjain. The almost impregnable citadel has massive ramparts that look down over the river and was built of local sandstone which is still quarried in the area today. In c.1538 it became the residence of Sher Shah Suri who built a pavilion here which was used as a gatehouse. Emperor Akbar stormed the fortress in 1575 and it was presided over by the Nawabs of Avadh until the British took it in 1764. Warren Hastings, the first Governor-General of India (1773 to 1784) took refuge at the fortress from an uprising led by Chet Singh in 1781.