Stone temple in forest, perhaps in Chittagong (Bengal). 13 October 1830
Artist: Blagrave, Jane (fl. 1809-1840)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink drawing by Jane Blagrave of a stone temple in the forest, perhaps in Chittagong, Bengal, dated 13 October 1830. Inscribed on front in ink: 'Temple. Nagtuba. 13th Oct/30.? of Marmah.'
Chittagong, situated on the Karnafuli river on the Bay of Bengal, is nowdays the chief port of Bangladesh. Over the centuries, Chittagong passed from Tippera (Buddhist) dominance to Arkan (Hindu) and then Mughal (Muslim) rule, with periods of re-conquest and re-control. The Portuguese made inroads in the 16th century, and the British gained control in 1760.
This drawing depicts a small temple built in the traditional style of architecture of Bengal. The temple has two roofs (jor bangla) similar to those of the mud plastered thatched huts that are numerous in the region.