European house on river bank, Cossipur (Bengal). c.1830
Artist: Blagrave, Jane (fl. 1809-1840)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Drawing in pen and ink on paper of a European house on the river bank at Cossipur near Calcutta by Jane Blagrave c.1830. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'J.M.A.B. Mrs Wilson's Refuge. Cossipore.'
In the 18th century, Calcutta was known as the 'City of Palaces' for the elegance of its public buildings and private residences. A number of these residences were situated at the riverside with large grounds. This European house is colonial in style and has a columned veranda. Calcutta is situated on the River Hooghly, a tributary of the Ganges.