View of the same European station as depicted in WD 1703, perhaps Chittagong and the Karnaphuli River (Bengal)
Artist: Blagrave, Jane (fl. 1809-1840)
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
Pen-and-ink and water-colour view of a small European station beside a river, perhaps Chittagong and the Karnaphuli River by Jane Blagrave (fl. 1809-1840) in 1837. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'J.M.A. Blagrave. Calcutta /37. Tempest Hill. Fairy Hill. South View.'
Chittagong, located in Bangladesh at the point where the Karnaphuli River empties into the Bay of Bengal, is a significant port and has been used for centuries by Arakanese, Arab, Persian, Portuguese and Mughal sailors. Under the Portuguese in the 16th century the town was known as Porto Grande and became an important trading centre. It was captured by the Nawab of Bengal in 1666 and fell to the East India Company in 1760; 60 years later it was claimed by the emperor of Burma (now known as Myanmar) and this led to conflict between Burma and the United Kingdom in 1824. After Independence in 1947 Chittagong was part of East Pakistan but became part of the new nation of Bangladesh in 1971. Today Chittagong is the second largest city in Bangladesh, an important commercial centre and the site of a steel mill and oil refinery.