View of the maidan, Calcutta, with Government House and Ochterlony monument
Artist: Blagrave, Jane (fl. 1809-1840)
Gouache of a view of the maidan in Calcutta with the Government House and Ochterlony monument by Jane Blagrave dated 1837. Inscribed on the front of the mount in ink: '1837. Govt. House. J.M.A. Blagrave.'
The Maidan is a large open space in the centre of Calcutta that was created during the building of the new Fort William in 1757. The north side of the Maidan is shown in this view. The new Government House was commissioned by Marquis Wellesley in 1798. The architect, Captain Charles Wyatt, based his designs for the building on Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire. This view shows the southern façade of the building; it has a circular colonnade with a dome in the centre and projecting wings either side. On the right is the tall column of the Ocherlony Monument. The monument was designed by C.K. Robinson and erected in 1828. Sir David Ochterlony (1758-1825) was a Major-General who was credited with ensuring British success in the Anglo-Nepalese War of 1814-1816. The monument has since been renamed the Shahid Minar and is now dedicated to Indian martyrs.