View at Mamallapuram showing the lion, elephant and raths.Squared drawing for the aquatint published 15 October 1799
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of the view at Mamallapuram showing the lion, elephant and raths, by Thomas and William Daniell, dated November 1792. This is the original drawing for 'Oriental Scenery,' part 5, plate 1.
Mamallapuram, a tiny village south of Madras, was a flourishing port of the Pallava dynasty from the 5th - 8th centuries. The site is famous for a group of temples, a series of rock-cut caves and some monolithic sculptures created in the 7th century reign of Narasimhavarman Mahamalla. The caves are all fronted with fine columns resting on seated lions, typical of the Pallava style. The 'Pancha Ratha' form a group of five temple-monoliths carved out of granite to resemble raths, the wooden chariots used during religious processions to carry the statues of the divinities. Next to the shrines are a monolithic lion and elephant.