Gateway (probably the S.E) at Anupshahr fort (U.P.). 15 March 1789
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
This is a pencil and wash drawing of the fort at Anupshahr in Uttar Pradesh, dated 15 March 1789 by Thomas (1749-1840) and William (1769-1837) Daniell. Inscribed on the mount in pencil is: 'Gateway, Anopshehr.' This drawing was mounted, by Sir Henry Russell, on the same sheet as another drawing of the same scene. They are clearly by different hands and it seems likely that WD1724 (this image) with its competent composition and firmly drawn figures is by Thomas Daniell and WD1725 by William.
Anupshahr is situated on a high bank of the Ganges River in Bulandshahr District, Uttar Pradesh. The town was founded in the reign of Jahangir by the Bargujar Raja Anup Rai after whom it is named. In the 18th century the town was significant as it commanded an important crossing of the river on the road from Delhi to Rohilkand. In 1757 Ahmad Shah Durrani (1722-72), founder of the state of Afghanistan, established cantonments here. In 1773 the British established a garrison here as they combined forces with the Wazir of Oudh in order to oppose the Maratha invasions of Rohilkanad; in 1806 the garrison was removed to Meerut.