Village scene, Dalmau (U.P.). 23 December 1788 or 22 October 1789
Artist: Daniell, Thomas (1749-1840)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of a scene at Dalmau by Thomas (1749-1840) and William (1769-1837) Daniel, 22 October 1789. Inscribed on the mount in pencil is: 'Dalmau.'
The village of Dalmau is situated on top of a steep cliff overlooking the river Ganga in Uttar Pradesh. It is possible that the town was one of many ports along the river in ancient times as it was part of a key route from the Gangetic plain to central India. Ibrahim Shah Sharqi of Jaunpur assaulted and took the fort here from the Bhar Raja in the fifteenth century and Dalmau continued to be of some importance under the Jaunpur sultanate's rule. The town's prosperity continued throughout the Mughal period and was further expanded with mosques and administrative buildings.