View of the hill of Parasnath from the encampment near Chhatna (Bengal); a tank and gnarled tree in foreground. 1 February 1823
Artist: 'D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink drawing by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845), of Parasnath Hill near Chhatna in Bengal, dated 1 February 1823, from an Album of 80 drawings of views in Bengal and Bihar taken between January 1823 and May 1825. The largest group of drawings consists of sketches made between 26 January and 27 February 1823 during a journey from Calcutta to Gaya (Bihar) along the 'New Military Road'. This road passed through Manbhum district (Bihar) to Hazaribagh (Bihar) and through the hills to the N.W. to join the present Grand Trunk Road near Sherghati (Gaya district, Bihar). Begun in 1782, it had semaphore signalling towers built along it in the early years of the 19th century.
This image is the original sketch for plate 2 of 'Sketches of the New Road in a Journey from Calcutta to Gyah' (Calcutta, 1830). D'Oyly wrote, "The subject of this plate is situated about 100 yards from the grove of mangoe trees, under which the travellers Tents are usually pitched. In the distance is observed the fine lofty hills of Parisnauth, about 70 miles from the spot. This beautiful object is seen for several days journey till it is gradually lost as the traveller proceeds westward - the distance of Chatna from Calcutta is 119 miles."