View of rocky hills from D'Oyly's camp at Raghunathpur (West Bengal); on one hill a signalling tower (part of the chain from Calcutta to Chunar); an elephant, tent and camp equipment in foreground
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink drawing by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845) of a view of rocky hills from D'Oyly's camp at Raghunathpur (West Bengal) from an Album of 80 drawings of views in Bengal and Bihar taken between January 1823 and May 1825. The largest group consists of sketches made between 26 January and 27 February 1823 during a journey from Calcutta to Gaya (Bihar) along the 'New Military Road'. This road passed through Manbhum district (Bihar) to Hazaribagh (Bihar) and through the hills to the north west to join the present Grand Trunk Road near Sherghati (Gaya district, Bihar). Begun in 1782, it had semaphore signalling towers built along it in the early years of the 19th century.
This image is the original drawing for plate 4 of 'Sketches of the New Road in a Journey from Calcutta to Gyah' (Calcutta, 1830). D'Oyly wrote, "The spot from which the view is taken is in a tope of mangoe trees generally fixed upon as the Site of Camps...The rocks are about a mile from the encamping ground and composed of loose blocks of dark grey granite, here and there enlivened with grass and stunted foliage. They are the resort of bears, who find shelter in the cavities. Nineteen of these ferocious animals were some years ago destroyed by an officer in the course of a few days. The inhabitants of the village, - which lies immediately at the bottom of these hills complain much of the depredations committed by the bears, and are always very ready to assist the passing sportsmen, in shewing their recesses. On one of the eminences of the rock, but not on the highest is a Telegraph Tower one of the connecting links of communication from Calcutta to Chunar established by Lord Hastings."