View of the village of Silwar (Bihar) at the foot of the hill with signalling tower. 13 February 1823
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink drawing by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845), of the village of Silwar in Bihar, from an Album of 80 drawings of views in Bengal and Bihar taken between January 1823 and May 1825. The largest group of drawings consists of sketches made between 26 January and 27 February 1823 during a journey from Calcutta to Gaya (Bihar) along the 'New Military Road'. This road passed through Manbhum district (Bihar) to Hazaribagh (Bihar) and through the hills to the N.W. to join the present Grand Trunk Road near Sherghati (Gaya district, Bihar). Begun in 1782, it had semaphore signalling towers built along it in the early years of the 19th century.
Original drawing for plate 9 of 'Sketches of the New Road in a Journey from Calcutta to Gyah' (Calcutta, 1830). D'Oyly wrote, "The village of Silwar, situated at the foot of a very prettily shaped Hill on the lower peak of which is seen a Telegraph Tower, forms a very pleasing view. The cluster of habitations composing the village is enclosed by a Palisade of reeds to guard against their nightly depredations of Bears, which here as at Ruggoonauthpore, secrete themselves in the cavities of the Rocky hill & make depradations on the Fruits and Granaries of the Inhabitants. Adjoining the principal Hill is a small eminence, crowned by a very singular shaped Pile of Rocks, assuming at a distance, the form of a diadem, and between these the Road runs. The distance of this village from Calcutta is 236 miles."