Bungalow attached to the house of Maharaja Mitrajit Singh, Patna (Bihar), 12 May 1825
Artist: D'Oyly, Sir Charles (1781-1845)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink drawing, by Sir Charles D'Oyly (1781-1845), of a bungalow attached to the house of Maharaja Mitrajit Singh at Patna in Bihar, from an Album of 80 drawings of views in Bengal and Bihar taken between January 1823 and May 1825. This image is one of a group of miscellaneous sketches which were made either at Patna, D'Oyly's headquarters, or at near-by Hajipur in March and October 1824 and May 1825. The bungalow picture here was apparently used for meetings of the artistic and literary coterie inspired by Sir Charles D'Oyly and called the 'Bihar School of Athens'.
D'Oyly arrived in India in 1797 and spent his first few years in Calcutta as Assistant to the Registrar of the Court of Appeal. He was Collector of Dacca from 1808-18 and was made Opium Agent at Patna in 1821. Whilst at Dacca he met the artist George Chinnery and became his pupil from 1808-12. D'Oyly was a prolific amateur artist who was greatly admired by the European community. He set up and ran a lithographic press, the Behar Lithography, and also formed an amateur art society, the United Patna and Gaya Society or 'Bihar School of Athens': "for the promotion of Arts and Sciences and for the circulation of fun and merriment of all descriptions."