The barracks, Karachi (Sind), with a dust storm in the foreground. March 1851
Artist: Ainslie, Henry Francis (c.1805-1879)
Water-colour of the barracks at Karachi (Sind) by Henry Francis Ainslie (c.1805-1879), March 1851. Inscribed on the front of the mount in red ink is: 'Sindh, barracks H.Ms 64th regt at Kurrachee, Horse Artillery Do., dust storm, March 1851.'
Originally Karachi was a small village made up of a cluster of fishermen’s huts on the three islands of Manora, Bhit and Baba. Due to it's location at the western end of the Indus delta the town has always been an important gateway for trade into central Asia. The British occupied Karachi during the First Anglo-Afghan War in 1839 and established a cantonment here. It was laid out separately to the 'Old Town' in a linear fashion; this area later became the basis of the 'New Town'.