N. view of the cantonment, Karachi, from the sea shore at Clifton (Sind). April 1851
Artist: Ainslie, Henry Francis (c.1805-1879)
Water-colour of the cantonment at Karachi (Sind) by Henry Francis Ainslie (c.1805-1879), April 1851. Inscribed on the front of the mount in red ink is: 'Sindh, cantonment of Kurrachee, from the seaside at Clifton, looking north, April 1851.'
In the eighteenth century Karachi was a small fishing village known as Karachi-jo-Goth. With the development of its harbour it gradually grew into a large city and an important centre of trade and industry. The British occupied Karachi during the First Anglo-Afghan War in 1839 and established a Cantonment here. It was laid out separately to the 'Old Town' in a linear fashion; this area later became the basis of the 'New Town'.