Part of the town of Karachi (Sind), with mud houses; camels and villagers in foreground. April 1851
Artist: Ainslie, Henry Francis (c.1805-1879)
Water-colour of Karachi (Sind) by Henry Francis Ainslie (c.1805-1879), April 1851. Inscribed on the front of the mount in red ink is: 'Sindh, part of the native town of Kurrachee, 1851.'
Originally Karachi was a small village made up of a cluster of fishermen’s huts on the three islands of Manora, Bhit and Baba. Due to it's location at the western end of the Indus delta the town has traditionally served as an important gateway for trade into central Asia. With the development of its harbour it gradually grew into a large city and an important centre of trade and industry.