View of Karachi Harbour from Clifton (Sind). April 1851
Artist: Ainslie, Henry Francis (c.1805-1879)
Water-colour of Karachi Harbour from Clifton (Sind) by Henry Francis Ainslie (c.1805-1879), April 1851. Inscribed on the front of the mount in red ink is: 'Sindh, entrance to the harbour of Kurrachee, from Clifton, looking west, Minora in the distance. April 1851.'
Originally Karachi was a small village made up of a cluster of fishermen’s huts on the three islands of Manora, Bhit and Baba. Due to it's location at the western end of the Indus delta the town has traditionally served as an important gateway for trade into central Asia. Port developments were carried out in the mid 19th century due to an increase in the number of ships from international ports carrying goods to and from the sub continent; cotton and wheat were particularly important commodities.