Country boat moored by a village in Karachi Harbour (Sind). September 1851
Artist: Ainslie, Henry Francis (c.1805-1879)
Water-colour of a boat moored by a village in Karachi Harbour (Sind) by Henry Francis Ainslie (c.1805-1879), September 1851. Inscribed on the front of the mount in red ink is: 'Sindh, native craft & village, Kurrachee harbour September 1851 HFA.'
Originally Karachi was a small village made up of a cluster of fishermen’s huts on the three islands of Manora, Bhit and Baba. Due to it's location at the western end of the Indus delta the town has traditionally served as an important gateway for trade into central Asia. Port developments were carried out in the mid 19th century due to an increase in the number of ships from international ports carrying goods to and from the sub continent; cotton and wheat were particularly important commodities.