View of the town of Tatta (Sind) seen from the camp west of the town. December 1851
Artist: Ainslie, Henry Francis (c.1805-1879)
Water-colour painting of the town of Tatta (Sind) seen from the camp west of the town by Henry Francis Ainslie (c.1805-1879), December 1851. Inscribed on the front of the mount in red ink is: 'Sindh, town of Tatta on the Indus, from our camp on the ridge, 3/4 of a mile west of the town. Decr. 1851.'
Thatta or Tatta is located in Sindh province in Pakistan just west of the Indus River and inland from Karachi and the Arabian Sea coast. It has been suggested that the town was once known as Patala, the city where Alexander the Great rested his army before marching south. Thatta was once a rich and thriving city famous for its learning and culture before many years of war and disease heralded its decline. The town has two famous mosques, most notably the Jami Masjid built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan between 1644 and 1647 as a gift for the hospitality he received as a prince while seeking refuge from his father, Jahangir (r. 1605-27).