View of the Fort, Hyderabad (Sind). December 1851
Artist: Ainslie, Henry Francis (c.1805-1879)
Water-colour painting of the Fort at Hyderabad (Sind) by Henry Francis Ainslie (c.1805-1879), December 1851. Inscribed on the front of the mount in red ink is: 'Sindh. Fort of Hyderabad, capital of Sindh, from the Belloochee lines. The tower contained the treasures of the Ameers of Sindh. Decr 1851. HFA.'
The fort was built in 1768 by the ruler of Sind Ghulam Shah Kalhora and was used by him as his court until his death in 1772. After a turbulent spell the fort was occupied by the Talpur Mirs until they were defeated by the British in 1843.