Plan of the Fort, Nurpur (Sind). January 1852
Artist: Ainslie, Henry Francis (c.1805-1879)
Water-colour plan of the Fort at Nurpur in Sind (Pakistan) by Henry Francis Ainslie (c.1805-1879), January 1852. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'Noorpoor-ke-gote, Sindh. Fort of Noorpoor on the Indus.'
Nurpur is situated on the west side of a hill which rises steeply from the surrounding plains. It was originally called Dhameri or Temmery but renamed in honour of the emperor Nur-ud-din Jahangir. The fort was begun by one of the local Rajas and finished in the time of Aurangzeb (reigned 1658-1707). It contains a wooden temple and excavations in 1886 revealed the existence of a stone temple of much earlier date than the fort.