Door of a tomb, Tatta (Sind)
Artist: Ainslie, Henry Francis (c.1805-1879)
Water-colour painting of the door of a tomb at Tatta or Thatta in Sind by Henry Francis Ainslie (c.1805-1879), 1852. Inscribed on the front of the mount in red ink is: 'Sindh. Door of a Mussalman tomb at Tatta, sentence from the Koran in blue glazed tiles above. 1852.'
Thatta or Tatta is located in Sindh province in Pakistan just west of the Indus River, inland from Karachi and the Arabian Sea coast. It has been suggested that the town was once the city of Patala, where Alexander the Great rested his army before marching south. Thatta was once a rich and thriving city famous for its learning and culture, however it declined following many years of war and disease. The town has two famous mosques, most notably the Jami Masjid or congregational mosque built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan between 1644 and 1647, his gift for the hospitality he received as a prince while seeking refuge from his father, Jahangir (r. 1605-1627).