Distant view of the Ganges River at Bhagalpur (Bihar); Cleveland's house on a hill to the right.
Artist: Smith, Robert (1787-1873)
Water-colour painting of the Ganges River at Bhagalpur with Cleveland's house on a hill to the right by Robert Smith (1787-1873) between 1814 and1815. Inscribed on the mount in pencil is: 'Mr Cleveland's House at Boglipoore'.
Bhagalpur is situated in Bihar on the south bank of the River Ganges. In the 16th century the town was used by Akbar’s troops when invading Bengal and was subsequently made the seat of an imperial military governor. Augustus Cleveland was Collector of Bhagalpur towards the end of the 18th century; the town contains two monuments to his memory, one of brick erected by the landholders of the District, the other of stone sent out by the Directors of the East India Company from England.