Town & Fort of Dejouri, Deccan
Artist: Nash, Alexander (fl. 1834-1846)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing of the town and fort of Dejouri (Deogiri or Daulatabad) by Alexander Nash (fl. 1834-1846) between 1844 and 1845. This image is from an album of 19 drawings (19 folios) depicting the monuments of Bijapur and the hill forts of Dejouri and Purandhar, made during a Revenue Survey of the Deccan. Nash served with the Bombay Engineers and from 1836 was mainly employed in the Revenue Survey of the Deccan, first as an assistant and from 1841 as Superintendent.The citadel of Devagiri, "Hills of Gods" was occupied and renamed Daulatabad "City of Fortune" after the Tughluq conquest at the end of the 13th century. In the 14th and 15th centuries it became the capital of the Bahmani sultans of the Deccan and was taken by the Mughals in 1633. The impressive fortress is situated on the top of a steep hill 200 metres high. There are three concentric lines of fortifications between the outer wall and the citadel which is reached by steep flights of steps. The remains of the original town of Deogiri are enclosed by the outer walls, entered through three gateways. A series of underground passages carved into the solid rock lead to the citadel.