Entrance gate to Peshawar Fort (N.W.F.P.). 2 January 1879
Artist: Cramer-Roberts, Charles J. (1834-1895)
Water-colour painting of the entrance gate to Peshawar Fort (North-West Frontier Province) by Charles J. Cramer-Roberts (1834-1895), 2 January 1879. Inscribed on the front in ink is: 'Entrance Gate Fort Peshawur. C.J.C.R. 2.1.79.'
Peshawar, meaning ‘Frontier Town’ is situated at the head of the Khyber Pass, a major trade route and traditional gateway for invaders into India. The fortified stronghold of Bala Hisar, on the site of an ancient citadel, was the key to Peshawar and changed hands many times. In the 16th century the Mughal Emperor Babur occupied and strengthened the fort and laid out the Shalimar Gardens. After the decline of the Mughal Empire the city was in the hands of the Durranis and later fell to the Sikhs under Ranjit Singh. In the 19th century the fort fell to the British who replaced the mud walls with ‘pucca’ brick.