Entrance to Delhi Fort
Artist: Cramer-Roberts, Charles J. (1834-1895)
Water-colour painting of the entrance to Delhi Fort by Charles J. Cramer-Roberts (1834-1895) in 1886. Inscribed on the front in pencil is: 'Entrance to Fort. Delhi.'
The Red Fort was built by the Moghul Emperor Shah Jahan at his new capital Shahjahanabad, the seventh Muslim city at Delhi, from 1639 onwards. The massive red sandstone wall that surrounds the fort complex in an octaganol plan is 1.5 miles or 2.5 km long, and varies in height from 60ft (16 metres) to 110ft (33 metres). Within the walls were the buildings of the Moghul government including halls of public and private audience, elaborate palaces, private apartments, a mosque and gardens.