Aurangabad: Cave II f.50
Draughtsman: Jayrao Raghoba (fl. 1875)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Two pencil drawings of sculptures from Cave 2 at Aurangabad by Jayrao Raghoba (fl. 1875) and Dinkar Moreshwar (fl. 1875), dated 2nd March 1876. These drawings are from an album of 106 drawings of plans, sections, elevations, sculpture and architectural details from sites in Hyderabad and Bombay. The drawings were prepared mainly by Indian draftsmen under the supervision of James Burgess of the Archaeological Survey of India.
Situated at a height of 700 feet in the Sahyadri range of the Western Ghats two miles to the north of the town of Aurangabad are a series of Buddhist cave temples carved into the mountainside. They are arranged in two main groups approximately a third of a mile apart. All, except number 4, are attributed to the period of the Vakataka (fourth and fifth centuries AD) and Kalachuri (sixth to eighth centuries) dynasties. There was probably a long and continuous occupation of the site by Buddhist monks and their lay supporters. Cave 2, dating from the late 6th century, is very small and has a shrine and columned hallways, a large Buddha and intricately carved panels. The columns of the cave are carved with medallions which contain amorous couples and scrollwork. The drawing on the left shows Buddha supported on a lotus stalk. The drawing on the right is of a figure on the exterior of the shrine wall flanking the Buddha. It shows the compassionate bodhisattava Avalokiteshvara (whose special attribute is compassion), representing the sangha (community). He holds the banner of the Master, the Buddha dvaja; to his right is Virupaksha, guardian yaksha or dikmaharaja (lord of direction); to his left is Kubera who sits at the door jamb.