Illustration of the Masjid of Malik Alam near Ahmadabad in Gujarat from James Burgess' 'Original Drawings [of] Muhammadan Architecture of Ahmadabad.' Malik Alam's Masjid is located near Shah Alam's tomb, in southern Ahmadabad, in a village called Dani Limdi. James Burgess, writing in 1900, in the Archaeological Survey of Western India, VII, states "It will be seen that [the mosque] has five domes and the roof is supported by 72 pillars (counting those in the open sections of the façade on each side) together with 44 pilasters. The interior dimensions are 112 feet 7 inches by 31 feet 8 inches, and the end and back walls are 3 feet 3 inches thick, that in front being 5 feet 11 inches...the central dome is considerably the higher, but there is in the façade only one large pointed arch in the middle, on each side of the minarets. In the back wall were five marble mihrabs, two in each end, facing the open colonnades, and the central one facing the great arch...The minarets above the level of the façade had been shaken when the upper portions were thrown down, and together with a small canopy on four pillars that stood between the turrets, they were taken down by the Public Works Department about 1882."