Illustration of the perforated screens located around the tomb of Shaikh Ahmad Khattu Ganj-Bakhsh from James Burgess' 'Original Drawings [of] Muhammadan Architecture of Ahmadabad.' The tomb complex of Shaikh Ahmad Khattu Ganj-Bakhsh, referred to as Ganj-Bakhsh, is located six miles south-west of Ahmadabad in Sarkhej. Shaikh Ahmed Khattri (d.1446) was the spiritual guide to Ahmad Shah (r.1411-42). During the reign of Muhmmad Shah (r.1442-51) a mosque and a mausoleum were built in Sarkhej in memory of the Shaikh. Later the place became a retreat for Gujarat rulers, as well as an imperial necropolis. The mausoleum is the largest of its kind in Gujarat; it is covered with a vast dome surrounded by other smaller domes. A Persian inscription over the door records the date 1473. The mausoleum extends to 104 feet square and is supported by an arcade of pillars. ?The square formed by the inner row of double pillars surrounding the central area round the tomb is divided from the rest of the interior by a screen connecting the pillars and formed of perforated brass panels. The four doors are also filled with similarly perforated work. The metal, it may be noted, is not only perforated in constantly varied patterns, but also chaced or tooled on the surfaces left.?