Ahmadabad: Queen's mosque and tomb in Mirzapur
Surveyor: Burgess, James (1832-1916)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen-and-ink plan of the Queen's mosque and tomb in Mirzapur district, Ahmadabad by James Burgess (1832-1916) between 1884 and 1886. This image is from an album of 47 drawings of plans, sections, elevations, sculpture and architectural details from monuments and sites in Ahmadabad and its neighbourhood c.1884-1886. They were prepared mainly by Indian draftsmen under the supervision of James Burgess (1832-1916) of the Archaeological Survey of India.
The city of Ahmadabad was founded in 1411 by Ahmad Shah, Sultan of Gujarat, on the site of the village of Asaval on the bank of the Sabarmati river. Rani Rupavati’s Mosque is situated in the Mirzapur district of Ahmadabad. It is believed to have been built during the reign of Muzaffar Shah II (1511-26). Rupmati was Princess of Dhar in Madhya Pradesh and the Sultan’s Hindu wife. This plan shows the mosque and accompanying tomb with enclosed courtyard. The mosque, like many in the city, incorporates elements of both Hindu and Islamic design. There are three domes on the roof with the central one is raised to allow space for an upper gallery to allow additional light to enter the mosque. This device of a gallery around a central domed rotunda is derived from local Hindu and Jain temple designs. The minarets which flank the central arched entrance to the mosque sanctuary were truncated in the earthquake of 1819. The carvings in the gallery and the mihrabs are particularly attractive. The tomb is constructed using post and lintels that support the roof above. It has a high central dome with a further small dome at each of the four corners.