Elevation of Phuti mosque
Surveyor: Burgess, James (1832-1916)
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Illustration of the elevation of the Phuti or Futi masjid at Ahmadabad in Gujarat. It is located in the Daryapur mahalla, at the north end of the city, between the Delhi and Daryapur gates. The mosque was originally named the Fath or Victory mosque. It is of considerable dimensions, with interior measurements of 116 feet wide by 26.5 feet deep from inside the front pillars to the 'qibla' or directional wall. The whole façade is open, supported by eighteen pillars, with a roof of five domes. The area covered by the central dome is separated from those on either side by a double pillared aisle. The structure dates to the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century.