Panoramic view of Ootacamund. November 1851
Artist: Bellasis, George Hutchins (1807-1862)
Water-colour showing a panoramic view of Udagamandalam by George Hutchins Bellasis (1807-1862) in November 1851. Inscribed on the front in ink: 'Ootacamund: (from our verandah.) Novr. 1851. G.H.B.'; in pencil 'Et. Indies. Neelgery Hills'; the painting is also inscribed with numbers and a key to the numbers (shown underneath) was attached.
Udagamandalam, or Ootacamund, popularly known as ‘Ooty’ was the summer headquarters of the government of Madras from 1861 onwards. The town itself is sited around an artificial lake in the Nilgiri Hills at a height of 2,267 metres (7,440 feet). Many substantial homes appeared, precariously situated on the mountainside which were approached by narrow lanes, bordered by imported English shrubs and flowers. It rapidly became a popular sanatorium and retreat for invalids.