The Lake, Ootacamund. Landscape of rolling hills, a lake with sailing boat in foreground. October 1851
Artist: Bellasis, George Hutchins (1807-1862)
Water-colour showing a landscape of rolling hills with a sailing boat in the foreground at Udagamandalam by George Hutchins Bellasis (1807-1862) in November 1851. Inscribed on the front in ink: '(1) The Lake, Ootacamund. (Octr. 51.).'
Udagamandalam, or Ootacamund, popularly known as ‘Ooty’ was the summer headquarters of the government of Madras from 1861 onwards. The town itself is sited around an artificial lake in the Nilgiri Hills at a height of 2,267 metres (7,440 feet). Many substantial homes were built, precariously situated on the mountainside which were approached by narrow lanes, bordered by imported English shrubs and flowers. It rapidly became a popular sanatorium and retreat for invalids, providing welcome relieve from the heat of the Indian plains.