St Stephen's Church, Ootacamund. November 1851
Artist: Bellasis, George Hutchins (1807-1862)
Water-colour showing St Stephen's Church at Ootacamundd by George Hutchins Bellasis (1807-1862) in November 1851. Inscribed on the front in ink is: '(7) St Stephen's Church. (Novr. 51.) Ootacamund.'
St. Stephen’s Church was built in 1830 and designed by Captain John James Underwood. The original teak timbers were taken from Tipu Sultan’s Lal Bagh Palace at Seringapatam. Udagamandalam, or Ootacamund, popularly known as ‘Ooty’ was the summer headquarters of the government of Madras from 1861 onwards. The town was sited around an artificial lake in the Nilgiri Hills at a height of 2,267 metres (7,440 feet). It became a popular resort for European people escaping the heat of summer in India. Many typically English houses were built, approached by narrow lanes which were bordered by imported English shrubs and flowers. It was also regarded as having a healthy atmosphere and became a popular sanatorium and retreat for invalids.