Chancel and side windows in St Stephen's Church, Ootacamund
Artist: Bellasis, George Hutchins (1807-1862)
Water-colour painting showing the chancel and side windows in St. Stephen's Church, Ootacamund by George Hutchins Bellasis (1807-1862),1851. Inscribed on the front in ink is; '(9) Side windows, Ootacamund Church.'
St. Stephen’s church was situated at Ootacamund (Udagamandalam) in the Nilgiri Hills in the south of India. It was designed by Captain John James Underwood and the foundation stone was laid in 1829 by Sir Stephen Lushington, the Governor of Madras. The original teak timbers inside the church were taken from Tipu Sultan’s Lal Bagh Palace at Seringapatam.