The Club House, Ootacamund. Hilly landscape with classical bungalow, thatched verandas and pillared portico
Artist: Bellasis, George Hutchins (1807-1862)
Water-colour painting of The Club House, a classical bungalow with thatched verandas and a pillared portico at Udagamandalam by George Hutchins Bellasis (1807-1862) in 1852.
Inscribed on front in ink: '(16) The 'Club House'; Ootacamund. 1852. a splendid building beautifully furnished, accommodation for about 30 members; with Library; Billiard rooms, etc. (Cost a lac of rupees) £10,000.'
Udagamandalam, or Ootacamund, popularly known as ‘Ooty’ was the summer headquarters of the government of Madras from 1861 onwards. The town is sited around an artificial lake in the Nilgiri Hills at a height of 2,267 metres (7,440 feet). This building was an elegant pillared mansion originally built by Sir Thomas Rumbald, a wealthy businessman from Hyderabad in 1830, and was where the Governor of Madras stayed in the summer. The house was later remodelled and expanded and turned into Ootacamund Club when it soon became the centre of Ooty’s social life.