Panorama of Ootacamund with bazaar beside the lake; English family and servants in foreground
Artist: Bellasis, George Hutchins (1807-1862)
Water-colour showing a panorama of Ootacamund by George Hutchins Bellasis (1807-1862) in 1852. The view shows a bazaar beside the lake with an English family and servants in the foreground. Inscribed on front in ink is: 'Ootacamund; (to the North) - view from the verandah of our house'.
Udagamandalam, or Ootacamund, popularly known as ‘Ooty’ was the summer headquarters of the government of Madras from 1861 onwards. The town is sited around an artificial lake in the Nilgiri Hills at a height of 2,267 metres (7,440 feet). It became a popular resort for European people escaping the heat of summer in India. Many typically English houses were built, approached by narrow lanes which were bordered by imported English shrubs and flowers. It was also regarded as having a healthy atmosphere and became a popular sanatorium and retreat for invalids.