Head of the Ganges Canal, Hardwar (U.P.)
Artist: Sankey, Sir Richard Hieram (1829-1908)
Water-colour painting showing the head of the Ganges Canal at Haridwar in Uttar Pradesh by Sir Richard Hieram Sankey (1829-1908), c.1876.
Haridwar, situated in the foothills of the Himalayas is the first major town on the River Ganges at the point where the river flows onto the plains. The town has always been a major pilgrimage site for Hindus as it is seen to be blessed by the trinity of Lord Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma. The Ganges here is quite calm and clear and the many bathing ghats are always full of people performing their ablutions. The main bathing ghat at Haridwar is Hari-ki-Pari which reputedly contains a footprint of Lord Vishnu embedded in a stone. The Ganges Canal was completed in 1854.