The Palace at Udaipur (Rajputana)
Artist: Lyndon, Herbert (fl. 1879-1898)
Watercolour painting of the Palace at Udaipur in Rajasthan by Herbert Lyndon (fl. 1879-1898), c. 1898. Inscribed on the front is: 'Herbert Lyndon. 98.'
Udaipur is the new capital of the Mewar State (Chittor was sacked in 1567) and was founded by Maharana Udai Singh (ruled 1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs. It is located on the east bank of Pichola Lake and the town is dominated by the main royal residence in Udaipur, the City Palace. This consists of an impressive series of buildings in the Rajput style, flanked by octagonal corner towers surmounted by cupolas. Inside the palace is a maze of reception halls, residential suites and internal courts. On the lake there are many palaces built on small islands that were used as summer retreats and pleasure pavilions; one of which can be seen to the right in this painting.