View of Salimgarh and the Palace, Delhi. January 1866
Artist: Harcourt, Alfred Frederick Pollock (1836-1910)
Water-colour painting of Salimgarh and the Palace at Delhi by Alfred Frederick Pollock Harcourt (1836-1910) in January 1866. Inscribed on the front in water-colour is: 'Selimghur & the Palace (Delhi) from the Kutcherry Jany. 66. A.H'.; and in pencil: 'Ry bridge not completed'; on the back in ink is: 'Selimghur & the Palace Delhi.'
The ancient city of Delhi is situated between the Aravalli Hills and the Yamuna River in northern India. There are actually eight major cities in total on this site. They include the Mughal capital of Shahjahanabad and the sultanate fort of Tughluqabad. Salimgarh, an island fort encircled by the Yamuna was built in 1546 by Sher Shah Suri's son Salim Shah of the Sur Dynasty. After Independence (1947) Salimgarh was renamed Swatantrata Senani Smarak and is now a museum dedicated to Indian Freedom Fighters.