Temple of Kathisambhu, Katmandu (Nepal). November 1852
Artist: Oldfield, Henry Ambrose (1822-1871)
Watercolour of the Temple of Kathisambhu at Kathmandu in Nepal, by Henry Ambrose Oldfield (1822-1871), c. 1852. This image is inscribed on the front in ink:' H.A. Oldfield. Nepal'; and on the back: 'No. 1. Budhist Temple, called 'Kathisambhu', in the city of Kathmandoo. November. 1852', plus some notes.
Dr Oldfield was Residency Surgeon at Kathmandu from 1850-1863. This is the original drawing for the illustration facing page 64 of Oldfield's 'Sketches from Nipal, Historical and Descriptive...' (1880). He wrote regarding Kathisambhu, "This temple was commenced and dedicated to Adi Buddha by Rajah Nurinda Mall, son of Unmar Mall, about A.D. 1450; but it was never completed...The hemisphere of the temple is built of brick, and stands on the upper of three square terraces, raised one upon the other, which form its basement. Round the base of the hemispheres are four large shrines, each of which contains an image of a Divine Buddha; and between these are four small shrines, each containing a carved and perforated stone symbolic of one of the Taras. Numerous stone slabs, on which are reliefs of chaityas, Buddhisatwas, Lamas, Siddhas, and other sacred characters, are ranged around the base of the garbh on the uppermost of the three terraces...The buildings about this court are chiefly inhabited by a race of dancers, who are interlopers, but who have gradually established a colony of their own in the vicinity of Kathisambhu."