The Durbar, or Royal Palace, Katmandu (Nepal)
Artist: Oldfield, Henry Ambrose (1822-1871)
Watercolour of the Durbar Square at Kathmandu in Nepal, by Henry Ambrose Oldfield (1822-1871), c.1852. This image is inscribed on the front in ink:' H.A. Oldfield. Nepal'; and on the back:' No. 18 .View of part of the Durbar, with adjacent temples, & large figure of Bheirab, in city of Kathmandoo.'
The old Royal Palace, often referred to as the Hanuman Dhoka, is located on the Durbar Square in the old city, as is the Kumari Chowk, home of Kathmandu's 'living goddess'. Dr Oldfield, who was Residency Surgeon at Kathmandu from 1850-1863, wrote in 'Sketches from Nipal, Historical and Descriptive...' (1880), "The darbar covers a considerable extent of ground and is of an irregular quadrangle form. To the north it is partly open to the city, and is flanked by the lofty Talliju temple. At the southern end is the council-chamber, the Basantpur, and the long modern darbar or public reception room. On the east it encloses the royal garden and stables, and on the west, which is its principal front, it is open to the street and forms one side of a rambling irregular square, in which are clustered together a number of Hindu temples...Besides those which are around, there are several temples within the precincts of the darbar; but their lofty gilt roofs rising one above another, and tapering to pinnales above, are the only parts of them which are visible from the streets."