Temple of Mahadeo, Bhatgaon (Nepal). March 1853
Artist: Oldfield, Henry Ambrose (1822-1871)
Watercolour of the Temple of Mahadeo, at Bhaktapur in Nepal, by Henry Ambrose Oldfield (1822-1871), dated March 1853. This image is inscribed on the front in ink: 'H.A. Oldfield. Nepal'; and on the back:' No. 4. Temple of Mahadeo, built A.D. 1650; with a corner of a Temple of Hurreeshunkur, built A.D. 1650. Bhatgaon. March 1853.'
Bhaktapur, the 'City of Devotees' is 11 km east of Kathmandu and 10 km north-east of Patan and is the youngest of the three former city-states of the Kathmandu Valley. Bhaktapur was founded in the 9th century and rose to prominence under the Malla dynasty. It remained a valley kingdom until the late 15th century when it became a sovereign state, together with Kathmandu and Patan. All three have similar architecture and were built around Durbar Squares containing Palace and Temple complexes. Dr Oldfield was Residency Surgeon at Kathmandu from 1850-1863. After his death his family published his two volume 'Sketches from Nipal, Historical and Descriptive...' (1880), which described life in the court of the Maharajah Jung Bahadur and also contained descriptions of Buddhist architecture, together with illustrations from Oldfield's own drawings. The temple shikhara (spire) depicted here on the centre-right, is the Jyotirlingeshwara Mahadev, dedicated to Shiva, with part of another temple on the extreme left.