Pillared interior of Jagannath Sabha, Ellora
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
Pen and ink and wash depicting the pillared interior of Jagannath Sabha at Ellora, dated c.1820. Inscribed: 'Jugganautoh Subha'.
The spectacular site of Ellora is famous for its series of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain cave temples excavated into the rocky façade of a cliff of basalt. The works were done under the patronage of the Kalachuri, the Chalukya and the Rashtrakuta dynasties between the sixth and the ninth centuries. Jagannatha Sabha is one of a group of five Jain caves dating to the ninth century excavated under Rashtrakuta patronage to the north of the site. The cave consists of two storeys. The façade of this red granite rock cave consists of an architrave supported by heavy columns with cushion capitals and ridged shafts with animal brackets. Inside are sculptured figures of Parasvanath and Mahavira, two of the Jain founders. This drawing shows the massive pillars supporting the roof of the central hall. They have fluted shafts carved with the pot-and-foliage motif and cushion-like capitals.