Temple of Devi & Deota-Ke-Mookan attached to the Tallajoo Temple, Kathmandoo. March 1857
Artist: Oldfield, Henry Ambrose (1822-1871)
Watercolour of the Temple of Devi and the Devta Ka Makan attached to the Taleju Temple at Kathmandu in Nepal, by Henry Ambrose Oldfield (1822-1871), c. 1857. Inscribed on reverse: 'Temple of Devi & Deota-Ke-Mookan attached to the Tallajoo Temple, Kathmandoo. March 1857'.
The Taleju Mandir is the largest temple in Kathmandu; it was built in the 16th century and is dedicated to Taleju Bhawani, a South Indian goddess who has been worshipped here since the 14th century. Hindus consider her to be a form of the mother goddess Durga while Buddhists perceive her to be one form of a tantric female deity, Tara. The brick building that is referred to here as 'god's house' is situated behind the temple and can be seen in this view. The artist, Dr Oldfield, was Residency Surgeon at Kathmandu from 1850-1863. After his death his family published his two volume 'Sketches from Nipal, Historical and Descriptive...' (1880), which described life at the court of the Maharajah Jung Bahadur and also contained descriptions of religious monuments and architecture with illustrations from Oldfield's own drawings.