Corner of the ground floor of a Temple at Patun, dedicated to Mahadeo or Shiva - built AD 1678 by a Newar Kajri, with notes and dated March 1853'
Artist: Oldfield, Henry Ambrose (1822-1871)
Watercolour of a Hindu temple at Lalitpur (Patan) in Nepal, by Henry Ambrose Oldfield (1822-1871), dated March 1853. The image is inscribed on the reverse: 'Corner of the ground floor of a Temple at Patun, dedicated to Mahadeo or Shiva - built AD 1678 by a Newar Kajri', with notes and dated 'March 1853'.
Dr Oldfield, who was Residency Surgeon at Kathmandu from 1850-1863, wrote in 'Sketches from Nipal, Historical and Descriptive...' (1880), "In each city the largest and most important building is the royal palace or darbar. It is situated in a central part of the city, and opposite to its principal front there is an open irregular square, which allows free access to the palace, and round which temples of various kinds are clustered together...In Kathmandu, Patan and Bhatgaon, most of the principal temples are in the immediate vicinity of the darbar; many are within its precincts, and many more are crowded around or opposite to its principal façade."