Drawing of the garden at the rear of the Durbar (palace) at Lalitpur (Patan) in Nepal, by Henry Ambrose Oldfield (1822-1871), dated March 1853. The image is inscribed on the reverse: 'Rajah Sidri Nur Singh's tank & Summer House, in the Garden at the rear of the Durbar, Patun - constructed AD 1647. March 1853'. Lalitpur, the 'City of Beauty' was founded in the 2nd century by the Kirats and it remained a valley kingdom until the late 15th century when it became a sovereign state, together with Kathmandu and Bhaktapur. All three were built around Durbar Squares containing Palace and Temple complexes. The artist, Dr. Oldfield, was Residency Surgeon at Kathmandu from 1850-1863, and wrote in 'Sketches from Nipal, Historical and Descriptive...' (1880), "The darbar is situated in the centre of the city, and towards it numerous streets converge, more or less irregularly, from all those sites in the circle of the ancient walls where gateways formerly stood, and where some of them are standing at the present day...The darbar originally consisited of three sides of a quadrangle; the side facing to the north is now in ruins; that facing to the west was the principal front...[which] is still in very good preservation...The side of the darbar which faces to the south is now completely destroyed. The fourth or eastern side was open and formed part of a private garden to the palace."