Jami Masjid, Agra, showing the now demolished Tripolia Gate and gate to the mosque
Artist: Abbott, Sir James (1807-1896)
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
Pencil and ink drawing of the Jami Masjid at Agra by Sir James Abbott (1807-1896) in 1826. Inscribed on the front is: 'Jumma Musjid - Agra - 1826'.
The Jami Masjid (1644-58) or congregational mosque was constructed of red sandstone and white marble under the auspices of the emperor Shah Jahan in honour of Jahanara, his favourite eldest daughter. It stands on a natural outcrop of rock which dominates the city and took 5,000 workmen six years to build. The mosque consisted of a courtyard surrounded by cloisters on its northern, southern and eastern sides while the western side was occupied by the prayer chamber. The eastern gateway was opened only for the emperor, or later the Governor-General.