West gate, Sanchi. Working drawing, with notes, of reverse of middle section of top architrave
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Working drawing, with notes, of the reverse of the middle section of top architrave of the West gateway of the Stupa of Sanchi, by Frederick Charles Maisey, dated 1847-1854.
The great Stupa of Sanchi is the finest example of monumental architecture of the Shunga era. It consists of a large hemispherical dome which was built over an already existing stupa ascribed to the 3rd century BC from the time of the Buddhist emperor Ashoka Maurya (reigned circa 269-232 BC). The stupa was later enlarged around the1st century BC under the Shungas and four elaborately carved
gateways were added at the cardinal points. The Western Gateway consists of two square posts crowned with a group of four pot-bellied dwarfs which support a triple architrave with scrolled ends. The gateway is completely covered of sculptures depicting various episodes of the life of Buddha Sakhyamuni. This drawing depicts the scene known as the Transport of the Buddha's relics to the city of Kushinagara.