Architectural details, Chanderi 3611
Artist: Maisey, Frederick Charles (1825-1892)
Medium: Pencil on paper
Pencil drawing by Frederick Charles Maisey of a pillar from Chanderi with notes and measurement, dated 1845-1852.
Chanderi, situated strategically on the borders of Malwa and Bundelkhand, was an important an military outpost. The history of the place goes back to the eleventh century when it was an important post amongst the trade routes of Central India. Chanderi has several historical monuments of the Bundela Rajputs and the Malwa Sultans. Amongst the most important are the Kushk Mahal, the Jami Masjid or congregational mosque and the Badal Mahal Darwaza. Their interest lies in their mixed style of architecture, a fusion of local Hindu and imported Islamic forms. The use of recycled temple columns, trabeate methods of construction and the small domed kiosks found in some buildings are elements from the early Rajput tradition . These are combined with elements of more traditionally Islamic arcuate construction brought to Chanderi from the sultanates Delhi, Malwa and Gujarat. This drawing represents a fluted column decorated with floral motifs.